Dell Latitude D630 and FreeBSD
Duane Whitty
2016-06-09 23:20:59 UTC
Hi Polytropon,

If I may refer to one of your posts "Re: advice for buying a laptop"
16-06-08, you write:

"Last year I made a Dell Latitude D630 with FreeBSD 10, and it works
better than my home Aldi PC!"

I also have a Dell Latitude D630. I was wondering if you are using
wifi on it? If I recall correctly I had some trouble in that FreeBSD
10(?) wasn't picking up my wifi card.

$ lspci

(output trimmed)

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g
WLAN (rev 01)

FreeBSD had no trouble with the Ethernet nic but I had no success at
the time with wireless. Hopefully you can confirm for me that this
has changed.

Best Regards,
Duane Whitty
Polytropon
2016-06-10 03:48:41 UTC
Hi Polytropon,
If I may refer to one of your posts "Re: advice for buying a laptop"
"Last year I made a Dell Latitude D630 with FreeBSD 10, and it works
better than my home Aldi PC!"
I also have a Dell Latitude D630. I was wondering if you are using
wifi on it?
Yes, that one worked as intended. The one included in this model
is compatible with the "wpi" driver. I followed the examples in
the handbook's WiFi section and it worked.

wlans_wpi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
netif_enable="YES"

I've even tried a GUI tool for connecting, but _that_ didn't work
as I thought. Maybe it was meant for Linux, not for FreeBSD. :-)
If I recall correctly I had some trouble in that FreeBSD
10(?) wasn't picking up my wifi card.
$ lspci
(output trimmed)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g
WLAN (rev 01)
FreeBSD had no trouble with the Ethernet nic but I had no success at
the time with wireless. Hopefully you can confirm for me that this
has changed.
Yes. The laptop in question has been initialized with FreeBSD 10 and
follows the RELEASE update path. The GENERIC kernel has all the parts
needed: "wpi" for wireless, "bge" for wired NIC.

Check the output of "pciconf -lv | less" to confirm that the correct
driver has been activated for that particular hardware.
--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany