A problem with mouse click being interpreted as double-click
Manish Jain
2016-07-15 01:14:14 UTC

I am using FreeBSD 10.2 amd64 with gnome3 as desktop.

I am experiencing a problem which is quite irksome when it happens. A
single click of my mouse (Logitech, USB) sometimes gets interpreted as a
double-click (or even sometimes as 2 single clicks). I have tried
various things but the problem does not go away :

1) tried different click speeds in Gnome settings
2) took the mouse out from the hub and connected it to a motherboard port
3) booted into Windows XP to see if the problem occurs there too. It
doesn't.

On FreeBSD, the problem continues to happen randomly, about once for
every 10 mouse clicks. Would anyone have any idea about what the problem
might be ? Is this a problem with the mouse hardware or with X or with
FreeBSD kernel code ?

Thanks for any help
--
Regards
Manish Jain
Manish Jain
2016-07-15 04:37:19 UTC
Post by Manish Jain
I am using FreeBSD 10.2 amd64 with gnome3 as desktop.
I am experiencing a problem which is quite irksome when it happens. A
single click of my mouse (Logitech, USB) sometimes gets interpreted as a
double-click (or even sometimes as 2 single clicks). I have tried
1) tried different click speeds in Gnome settings
2) took the mouse out from the hub and connected it to a motherboard port
3) booted into Windows XP to see if the problem occurs there too. It
doesn't.
On FreeBSD, the problem continues to happen randomly, about once for
every 10 mouse clicks. Would anyone have any idea about what the problem
might be ? Is this a problem with the mouse hardware or with X or with
FreeBSD kernel code ?
An update for anyone interested in this issue. I remembered I had a
spare Cooler Master mouse. I took out the Logitech mouse, and plugged in
CM. The problem went away entirely.

What I suspect is Logitech's Windows driver does a lot of error-handling
to make it work seamlessly even when the hardware is actually failing.
If that is true, Logitech wouldn't be the only one doing that -
practically every manufacturer would be tweaking his Windows driver for
'superfluous' exception-handling.

The other bit of news is that Cooler Master is a sensational mouse. If
you have just a little bit extra to spare for your mouse the next time
around, don't forget to keep CM high on your priority list.
--
Regards

Manish Jain
+91-70731-76333