moving podriere to new SSD
Matthias Apitz
2016-05-21 08:30:58 UTC
Hello,

I'm using a Dell M4400 as my poudriere oven to compile all my ports.
This M4400 has a DVD cartridge in a bay which can be ejected and replaced
by another cartridge containing now a new 250 GByte SSD and which shows
up as ada1 in dmesg (ada0 is the old internal hard disk with the
-CURRENT):

ada0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus2 target 0 lun 0
ada0: <Hitachi HTS723225L9A362 FCDOC30F> ATA8-ACS SATA 2.x device
ada0: Serial Number 090216FC3D00NJG3ZWED
ada0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
ada0: Command Queueing enabled
ada0: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors)

ada1 at ahcich1 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0
ada1: <Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB EMT02B6Q> ACS-2 ATA SATA 3.x device
ada1: Serial Number S2R6NX0H447886H
ada1: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 512bytes)
ada1: Command Queueing enabled
ada1: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors)
ada1: quirks=0x1<4K>

I have all my pordriere ports, jails and data below a top level dir
/usr/local/poudriere , some 34 GByte as shown below. My idea is move
them and also /usr/ports/disfiles to the SSD, perhaps the distfiles as
/usr/local/poudriere/disfiles and a symlink from /usr/ports/distfiles to
this new dir.

My questions is: what would be best form to format ada1 to a files
system for this to get most speed out of it?

Thanks

matthias

$ ls -l /usr/local/poudriere/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 512 Dec 13 21:48 data
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 512 Dec 29 23:20 jails
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 512 May 1 17:15 ports
$ du -sh /usr/local/poudriere/
# du -sh /usr/local/poudriere
34G /usr/local/poudriere
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ ***@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/ ☎ +49-176-38902045
"Die Verkaufsschlager des Buchmarkts geben Auskunft über den Zustand einer Gesellschaft bzw.
sind, was diese Zeiten angeht, Gradmesser fortschreitenden Schwachsinns. ..." (jW 19.05.2016)
Brandon J. Wandersee
2016-05-22 15:50:42 UTC
Post by Matthias Apitz
My questions is: what would be best form to format ada1 to a files
system for this to get most speed out of it?
With an SSD it won't really matter. You won't notice any difference
between UFS and ZFS. But regardless: compilation speed is dependent on
the CPU, not your disk; and by default Poudriere performs some of its
work in RAM, which is already faster than an SSD. I wouldn't expect to
see a huge speed increase from Poudriere after moving its directories to
an SSD. If Poudriere is configured to extract distfiles and prepare
ports on disk rather than in RAM, that would speed up, but that's
probably about it.

Of course you could always move the entire system to the SSD, since it
would have plenty of spare room. While Poudriere wouldn't run
drastically faster, everything else would, and you could use the extra
space on the HDD for any data you might want to store.
--
:: Brandon J. Wandersee
:: ***@gmail.com
:: --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
Matthias Apitz
2016-05-22 17:48:43 UTC
Oh, I suppose moving the system to the SSD would depend on the
motherboard actually being able to boot from that "cartridge" you
mentioned. I shouldn't presume too much, sorry.
I do not know if it would boot from; but now (after inserting the SSD)
some kind of RAID manager always asks me on pw on "Hit Ctrl-I to enter RAID
manager". Once I did, and it gives this screen:
but ofc, I do not want to create a RAID of my two disks :-)

matthias
Brandon J. Wandersee
:: --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
Warren Block
2016-05-22 19:43:53 UTC
Post by Matthias Apitz
Oh, I suppose moving the system to the SSD would depend on the
motherboard actually being able to boot from that "cartridge" you
mentioned. I shouldn't presume too much, sorry.
I do not know if it would boot from; but now (after inserting the SSD)
some kind of RAID manager always asks me on pw on "Hit Ctrl-I to enter RAID
http://www.unixarea.de/image20160521_093738659.jpg
but ofc, I do not want to create a RAID of my two disks :-)
The BIOS setup should allow that to be disabled.
Matthias Apitz
2016-05-29 10:28:12 UTC
Post by Brandon J. Wandersee
Post by Matthias Apitz
[...]
I have now moved /usr/local/poudriere to the SSD and I'm building the
same jail release r292778 and the same ports r414411, but for i386
architecture. While on the old harddisk the average was 10 ports built
per hour, it is now around 70 ports per hour, running 3 builders.
Ofc, one has to note also that the distfiles are all already there.

matthias