Release or Stable 10.3 ?
shahzaib mushtaq
2016-06-06 08:02:36 UTC

We need to install Freebsd-10.3 on production environment, should we go
with 'Release' or 'Stable' version ?

Thanks in Advance !!

Regards.
Shahzaib
krad
shahzaib mushtaq
2016-06-06 08:10:29 UTC

Thanks for quick response. This is what i am talking about :
http://prntscr.com/bcwtfj .

Could you please let me know which of the latest should i choose for
production ?

Regards.
Shahzaib
Post by krad
There isn't a 10.3-STABLE just 10-STABLE. Currently 10-STABLE is somewhere
ahead of 10.3-RELEASE
Hi,
krad
shahzaib mushtaq
2016-06-06 08:20:29 UTC

Thanks a lot guys for clear answer as 'stable' word is really confusing
when it comes to choose between 'release' and 'stable' :) . Can we go with
its minimal installation version e.g bootonly iso with 200+MB size ? Should
that good to go instead of download full 2GB iso ?

Regards.
Shahzaib
RELEASE - is a release of FreeBSD, which you can upgrade with patchsets,
staying inside the 10.3 environment. STABLE branches are a development edge
of major branches, stating that the API is left unchanged and is compatible
with minor versions inside a major branch, while CURRENT branch may already
be very different.
So, I'd say not CURRENT nor STABLE branches are intended for production
use, yet they could be used like this ofcourse. You should install
X.Y-RELEASE and then freebsd-update it to latest patchset, in the end
getting X.Y-RELEASE-pZ system, which is the most production-intended
version.
Hi,
Admin

Brandon J. Wandersee
2016-06-06 12:20:53 UTC
Post by shahzaib mushtaq
Hi,
Thanks a lot guys for clear answer as 'stable' word is really confusing
when it comes to choose between 'release' and 'stable' :) . Can we go with
its minimal installation version e.g bootonly iso with 200+MB size ? Should
that good to go instead of download full 2GB iso ?
Regards.
Shahzaib
The system that is installed will always be the same---a complete
FreeBSD installation is about 800Mb in size. The different installation
media just provide different installation methods. "Bootonly" downloads
the system over the Internet and installs it; the standard images
contain the system; the large, 2Gb image contains the system, plus a
frozen snapshot of the package repository, so you can install
application packages from it if you don't have a reliable Internet
connection.
--
:: Brandon J. Wandersee
:: ***@gmail.com
:: --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
Matthew Seaman
2016-06-07 13:42:33 UTC
Post by shahzaib mushtaq
Could you please let me know which of the latest should i choose for
production ?
The rule of thumb is this:

Unless you have a specific reason to choose a different version, always
go for the latest available release, and don't forget to add any
security or errata patches.

Right now, that'll come out as 10.3-RELEASE-p5.

Cheers,

Matthew