OPENSSL Base?
Odhiambo Washington
2016-07-09 08:18:34 UTC
Hello,

FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE here.

I am trying to install ports and I keep hitting this error:

Dependency error: This port wants the OpenSSL library from the FreeBSD
base system. You can't build against it, while a newer version is installed
by a port.
Please deinstall the port, remove DEFAULT_VERSIONS=ssl=base or undefine
WITH_OPENSSL_BASE.
*** [check-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache24.
*** [stage] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache24.

AFAIAC, there is no newer version of openssl installed by any port.

Defining either of the following below in /etc/make.conf doesn't seem to
help:

WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=1
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=base

***@waridi:/usr/ports/www/apache24 # make
/!\ WARNING /!\
Using WITH_OPENSSL_BASE in make.conf is deprecated, replace it with
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=base in your make.conf

Dependency error: This port wants the OpenSSL library from the FreeBSD
base system. You can't build against it, while a newer
version is installed by a port.
Please deinstall the port, remove DEFAULT_VERSIONS=ssl=base or undefine
WITH_OPENSSL_BASE.
*** [check-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache24.
*** [stage] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache24.

What exactly is happening?
--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
"Oh, the cruft."
Odhiambo Washington
2016-07-09 08:29:32 UTC
Post by Odhiambo Washington
Hello,
FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE here.
[...]
Sorry to reply to myself, but I can see something odd now. There are
actually two versions of openssl on this box. Not sure what happened.

***@waridi:/usr/ports/www/apache24 # /usr/local/bin/openssl version
WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/openssl/openssl.cnf
OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014

***@waridi:/usr/ports/www/apache24 # openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh-freebsd 3 Dec 2015

I believe I need to uninstall the one in /usr/local/bin. How to know what
port installed it is the problem now.
"Oh, the cruft."
Odhiambo Washington
2016-07-09 08:47:45 UTC
[...]
Please ignore all the noise. I have found a way out!

I decided to use the security/openssl for everything now so I just added to
make.conf:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl
"Oh, the cruft."
Matthias Fechner
2016-07-09 08:47:30 UTC
Post by Odhiambo Washington
Dependency error: This port wants the OpenSSL library from the FreeBSD
base system. You can't build against it, while a newer version is installed
by a port.
Please deinstall the port, remove DEFAULT_VERSIONS=ssl=base or undefine
WITH_OPENSSL_BASE.
*** [check-depends] Error code 1
have you read /usr/ports/UPDATING the entry 20160616?

Gruß
Matthias
Rich Cook
Odhiambo Washington
2016-07-09 09:02:56 UTC
Post by Odhiambo Washington
Post by Odhiambo Washington
Dependency error: This port wants the OpenSSL library from the FreeBSD
base system. You can't build against it, while a newer version is
installed
Post by Odhiambo Washington
by a port.
Please deinstall the port, remove DEFAULT_VERSIONS=ssl=base or undefine
WITH_OPENSSL_BASE.
*** [check-depends] Error code 1
have you read /usr/ports/UPDATING the entry 20160616?
Gruß
Matthias
Yes, I did. I don't know why I was insisting on using base :-(
"Oh, the cruft."
Shane Ambler
2016-07-09 17:28:17 UTC
Post by Odhiambo Washington
Sorry to reply to myself, but I can see something odd now. There are
actually two versions of openssl on this box. Not sure what happened.
WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/openssl/openssl.cnf
OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh-freebsd 3 Dec 2015
I believe I need to uninstall the one in /usr/local/bin. How to know what
port installed it is the problem now.
You can get that information from pkg

pkg which /usr/local/bin/openssl
/usr/local/bin/openssl was installed by package openssl-1.0.2_11

pkg info -o openssl-1.0.2_11
openssl-1.0.2_11 security/openssl
--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler