FreeBSD-10.3 root ZFS
James B. Byrne
2016-05-13 13:06:50 UTC
I am going through an initial install using the automatic guided root
on zfs procedure. I have selected the 2 redundant disks raid option.
I am at the point where I assign the disks to the zpool. I have 8
disks listed. These have the dev ids: ada0-ada3 and da0-da3. The
descriptions of the four adaX devs all begin with 'WDC WD30EFRX-...' .
The descriptions of the four daX devs all begin with 'ATA WDC
WD30EFRX-...'.

What is the significance of this, if any?
--
*** e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***

James B. Byrne mailto:***@Harte-Lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3
James B. Byrne
2016-05-13 13:55:31 UTC
Post by James B. Byrne
I am going through an initial install using the automatic guided root
on zfs procedure. I have selected the 2 redundant disks raid option.
I am at the point where I assign the disks to the zpool. I have 8
disks listed. These have the dev ids: ada0-ada3 and da0-da3. The
descriptions of the four adaX devs all begin with 'WDC WD30EFRX-...' .
The descriptions of the four daX devs all begin with 'ATA WDC
WD30EFRX-...'.
What is the significance of this, if any?
Given this hardware specification for the SYS-5027R-WRF:

SATA

2x SATA 3.0 ports (6Gbps)
4x SATA 2.0 ports (3Gbps)

SCU

4x SATA ports (3Gbps) via SCU

I infer that the four ada0-ada3 devices are connected via SATA
notwithstanding the IDE nomenclature used for the device names and
that the the four da0-da3 devices are connected via SAS through the
SCU given the SCSI nomenclature used for their device names.

Since the four SCU devices are 3Gbps I speculate the the four SATA
devices are also connected at 3Gbps. So, what would the two 6Gbps
ports be used for?

Canada L8E 3C3
Brandon J. Wandersee
2016-05-13 13:48:58 UTC
Post by James B. Byrne
I am going through an initial install using the automatic guided root
on zfs procedure. I have selected the 2 redundant disks raid option.
I am at the point where I assign the disks to the zpool. I have 8
disks listed. These have the dev ids: ada0-ada3 and da0-da3. The
descriptions of the four adaX devs all begin with 'WDC WD30EFRX-...' .
The descriptions of the four daX devs all begin with 'ATA WDC
WD30EFRX-...'.
What is the significance of this, if any?
"WD30EFRX" is the model number of disks, as reported to the system by
the disk firmware. What follows is the individual serial number.

Since they're all the same make and model, I'd strongly recommend
restarting the install process with Ctrl+c, and choosing "Shell" from
the menu. At the shell prompt, use `gpart show` to get a list of
attached disks and their partitions, and note the drive letters of the
two empty disks (daX and daY) you want to use. Then you can type "exit"
and proceed with the installation.
--
:: Brandon J. Wandersee
:: ***@gmail.com