OpenWRT
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Is there a *BSD based analog to the OpenWRT project ? M0n0wall is
defunct, pfsense is i386/AMD64 only, found a couple of others, but
nothing promising .... Any clues for me ? TIA & have a good one.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Dean E. Weimer
2016-07-11 20:03:44 UTC
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
Is there a *BSD based analog to the OpenWRT project ? M0n0wall is
defunct, pfsense is i386/AMD64 only, found a couple of others, but
nothing promising .... Any clues for me ? TIA & have a good one.
--
William A. Mahaffey III
Try https://pfSense.org or https://opensense.org, pfSense was first,
continuing on after monowall, OPNSense is a fork made from pfSense.
--
Thanks,
Dean E. Weimer
http://www.dweimer.net/
Dean E. Weimer
2016-07-11 20:46:46 UTC
oops, had an extra letter in the second one, https://opnsense.org
--
Thanks,
Dean E. Weimer
http://www.dweimer.net/
Ben Woods
2016-07-11 21:25:17 UTC
Is there a *BSD based analog to the OpenWRT project ? M0n0wall is defunct,
pfsense is i386/AMD64 only, found a couple of others, but nothing promising
.... Any clues for me ? TIA & have a good one.
If you want something like monowall, it has been forked and named t1n1wall.

If you just want to install basic freebsd on a wifi router, you should
check this out:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki

Regards,
Ben
From: Benjamin Woods
***@gmail.com
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Dean E. Weimer
Post by Dean E. Weimer
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
Is there a *BSD based analog to the OpenWRT project ? M0n0wall is
defunct, pfsense is i386/AMD64 only, found a couple of others, but
nothing promising .... Any clues for me ? TIA & have a good one.
--
William A. Mahaffey III
Try https://pfSense.org or https://opensense.org, pfSense was first,
continuing on after monowall, OPNSense is a fork made from pfSense.
oops, had an extra letter in the second one, https://opnsense.org
Yeah I found it, not clear if it is still i386/AMD64 only, kinda looks
lie it, I was hoping for something that covered more hardware. Thanks :-).
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Ben Woods
Is there a *BSD based analog to the OpenWRT project ? M0n0wall is defunct,
pfsense is i386/AMD64 only, found a couple of others, but nothing promising
.... Any clues for me ? TIA & have a good one.
If you want something like monowall, it has been forked and named t1n1wall.
If you just want to install basic freebsd on a wifi router, you should
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki
Regards,
Ben
Aaaaaaaaaahhh !!!! I think we have a winner. Thanks :-).
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
krad
2016-07-12 07:14:28 UTC
One problem you will run into with freebsd as a wireless router is wifi
support. It's generally not as good as linux, especially in ap mode which
you will need, and last time I looked there was no hint of AC support. I
maybe out of date on this though. If you just want wired stuff then you
should be fine though.
Ben Woods
2016-07-12 08:32:56 UTC
Post by krad
One problem you will run into with freebsd as a wireless router is wifi
support. It's generally not as good as linux, especially in ap mode which
you will need, and last time I looked there was no hint of AC support. I
maybe out of date on this though. If you just want wired stuff then you
should be fine though.
It's worth pointing out that Atheros has very good AP mode support - I am
running FreeBSD wifi AP as my home router without any difficulties.

Regards,
Ben
***@gmail.com
krad
From: Benjamin Woods
Kristof Provost
2016-07-12 10:21:55 UTC
Post by krad
which virtually no embedded wireless aps use.
The TP-Link WDR3600 works well with FreeBSD.

Atheros chips are actually used fairly frequently.
Have a look at https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

Regards,
Kristof
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by krad
One problem you will run into with freebsd as a wireless router is
wifi support. It's generally not as good as linux, especially in ap
mode which you will need, and last time I looked there was no hint of
AC support. I maybe out of date on this though. If you just want wired
stuff then you should be fine though.
On Monday, 11 July 2016, William A. Mahaffey III
Is there a *BSD based analog to the OpenWRT project ?
M0n0wall is defunct,
pfsense is i386/AMD64 only, found a couple of others, but
nothing promising
.... Any clues for me ? TIA & have a good one.
Indeed all I want is wired, thanks.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Kristof Provost
Post by krad
which virtually no embedded wireless aps use.
The TP-Link WDR3600 works well with FreeBSD.
Atheros chips are actually used fairly frequently.
Have a look at https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
Regards,
Kristof
OpenWRT is linux based, I was/am looking for something *BSD based ....
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Kristof Provost
2016-07-12 19:16:36 UTC
Post by Kristof Provost
Post by krad
which virtually no embedded wireless aps use.
The TP-Link WDR3600 works well with FreeBSD.
Atheros chips are actually used fairly frequently.
Have a look at https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
OpenWRT is linux based, I was/am looking for something *BSD based ....
I may not have been clear. I pointed to that list as a reference for my
assertion that Atheros chips are reasonably common, not as a
recommendation for openwrt.

The freebsd-wifi-build scripts are useful, and the TP-Link WDR3600 is
know to work with FreeBSD.
I’ve got one running FreeBSD myself, and I believe other people have
had similar success with other TP-Link boards.

Regards,
Kristof
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Kristof Provost
Post by krad
which virtually no embedded wireless aps use.
The TP-Link WDR3600 works well with FreeBSD.
Atheros chips are actually used fairly frequently.
Have a look at https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
OpenWRT is linux based, I was/am looking for something *BSD based ....
I may not have been clear. I pointed to that list as a reference for my
assertion that Atheros chips are reasonably common, not as a
recommendation for openwrt.
The freebsd-wifi-build scripts are useful, and the TP-Link WDR3600 is
know to work with FreeBSD.
I’ve got one running FreeBSD myself, and I believe other people have
had similar success with other TP-Link boards.
Regards,
Kristof
Good point, I have been to the OpenWRT site & noticed a whole column of
supported Atheros devices, no problema there. Thanks :-).
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
krad
2016-07-13 08:37:29 UTC
you might want to look at netbsd, as that has been ported to more
architectures than freebsd, so might be a better choice depending on your
requirements and hardware.