ksh93, tmux, termcap problems
Frank Shute
2016-05-25 22:36:58 UTC

I seem to be having problems using ksh93 as my shell in tmux running on an
xterm. The problem being when my command is longer than one line. It just
executes the command when it hits the end of the line, instead of
getting the value of PS2 at the start of the next line and the command
continuing.

I did a bit of grovelling around and I came across somebody who had a similar
problem with bash and tmux. (I don't think it was on FreeBSD though). Somebody
suggested it was a termcap problem.

Of course, when running tmux it sets TERM=screen

Anybody know how to fix this? TIA.

Regards,
Frank
Christofer C. Bell
2016-05-27 05:12:20 UTC
Frank,

This may not be the solution you're looking for, but I simply alias tmux to
"TERM=xterm tmux" now. It's solved the issue for me. It's just a work
around but hopefully is helpful.
Post by Frank Shute
Hi,
I seem to be having problems using ksh93 as my shell in tmux running on an
xterm. The problem being when my command is longer than one line. It just
executes the command when it hits the end of the line, instead of
getting the value of PS2 at the start of the next line and the command
continuing.
I did a bit of grovelling around and I came across somebody who had a
similar
problem with bash and tmux. (I don't think it was on FreeBSD though).
Somebody
suggested it was a termcap problem.
Of course, when running tmux it sets TERM=screen
Anybody know how to fix this? TIA.
Regards,
--
Frank
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
Universe." -- Carl Sagan
Frank Shute
2016-05-27 11:11:31 UTC
Post by Christofer C. Bell
Post by Frank Shute
Hi,
I seem to be having problems using ksh93 as my shell in tmux running on an
xterm. The problem being when my command is longer than one line. It just
executes the command when it hits the end of the line, instead of
getting the value of PS2 at the start of the next line and the command
continuing.
I did a bit of grovelling around and I came across somebody who had a
similar
problem with bash and tmux. (I don't think it was on FreeBSD though).
Somebody
suggested it was a termcap problem.
Of course, when running tmux it sets TERM=screen
Anybody know how to fix this? TIA.
Frank,
This may not be the solution you're looking for, but I simply alias tmux to
"TERM=xterm tmux" now. It's solved the issue for me. It's just a work
around but hopefully is helpful.
Many thanks, Christopher. I'll give it a go.

BTW, you can stick this in ~/.tmux.conf:

set -g default-terminal "xterm"

Should do the same thing, I think.

Regards,
--