dual booting issue
infinityux--- via freebsd-questions
2016-05-24 07:57:55 UTC
Hi all, recently I have installed OpenSUSE beside FreeBSD. Now for the dual booting and booting FreeBSD from grub i wrote nano /boot/grub/grub.confand after that I wroteFreeBSD 10.3
root(ada0, a)
kernel /boot/loaderand saved it. Now when i am restarting the grub option is showing and after that OpenSUSE is booting automatically there is no option for freebsd booting.What i have done wrong?
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-05-24 08:20:43 UTC

you could add a chainloader to menu.lst (Linux GRUB legacy), resp.
grub.cfg (Linux GRUB2).

$ grep -i -A3 freebsd grub.cfg
menuentry "FreeBSD"{
set root=(hd0,msdos1)
chainloader +1
}

I'm editing grub.cfg directly and don't know how to configure the
config files to auto-generate grub.cfg.

I guess for menu.lst it would be

title FreeBSD
root=(hd0,1)
chainloader +1

Regards,
Ralf
Vladimir Botka
2016-05-24 08:32:27 UTC
On Tue, 24 May 2016 07:57:55 +0000 (UTC)
Post by infinityux--- via freebsd-questions
Hi all, recently I have installed OpenSUSE beside FreeBSD. Now for the dual booting and booting FreeBSD from grub i wrote nano /boot/grub/grub.confand after that I wroteFreeBSD 10.3
root(ada0, a)
kernel /boot/loaderand saved it. Now when i am restarting the grub option is showing and after that OpenSUSE is booting automatically there is no option for freebsd booting.What i have done wrong?
FWIW, here is a brief description how to create custom menu entries.
"Grub2 has native support for FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD ..."
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2%20Other%20Os

HTH, Cheers

-vlado