borderline OT fireox question
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of Firefox
(on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests completions
for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged. I use TOR when
surfing & followed the advice of a thread a few weeks ago about a FF
setting to prevent those suggestions. I also have cron delete cookies &
other cruft from the .mozilla directory nightly. How do they still have
me ? TIA & have a good one.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Jon Radel
2016-07-13 20:06:38 UTC
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged.
Or that your searches are pedestrian little things that many have searched for in the past. In other words, do you have any evidence that what you're getting is customized to you or is it simply giving you today's top searches that start out the way yours does? I've never noticed any correlation with what I've done in the past, not that that proves anything.

--Jon Radel
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Jon Radel
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged.
Or that your searches are pedestrian little things that many have searched for in the past. In other words, do you have any evidence that what you're getting is customized to you or is it simply giving you today's top searches that start out the way yours does? I've never noticed any correlation with what I've done in the past, not that that proves anything.
--Jon Radel
In my case, I did a FreeBSD related search & it returned several others
I had tried/done recently (last few weeks). I dunno ....
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-13 22:21:17 UTC
If you go into about:config searches google and removes all
URLs, the Google search still tracks everything you type.

If you click the search icon and unchecks "Provide search suggestions",
then you only get suggestions based on your search history.

However, click the search icon and "Change Search Settings".

Add Startpage and make it the default. It's using Google, but
provides better privacy.

With "Provide search suggestions" enabled or disabled, you only get
suggestions based on your search history.
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
If you go into about:config searches google and removes all
URLs, the Google search still tracks everything you type.
If you click the search icon and unchecks "Provide search suggestions",
then you only get suggestions based on your search history.
However, click the search icon and "Change Search Settings".
Add Startpage and make it the default. It's using Google, but
provides better privacy.
With "Provide search suggestions" enabled or disabled, you only get
suggestions based on your search history.
OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past &
current searches ?
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Daniël de Kok
2016-07-14 06:37:44 UTC
OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past & current
searches ?
I think that there are two possibilities:

1. You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
similar things as you do.

2. Google does track you, and is using other means to uniquely identify you.
EFF's Panopticlick [1] shows that most browsers have a fingerprint that is
very unique. E.g. it finds that my particular browser fingerprint is
unique among 132,254 browsers so far.

At any rate, I agree with the grandparent poster: if you don't want Google
to track you, don't use Google. StartPage is a good suggestion, you also
might want to look into DuckDuckGo.

With kind regards,
Daniël

[1] https://panopticlick.eff.org
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-14 10:01:29 UTC
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14:26PM +0000, William A. Mahaffey III
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past &
current searches ?
I don't know, but it's deleted if I delete everything, e.g. cookies and
cache, but keep browsing and download history. Btw. I only tested this
after your request, I don't use this search thingy maself, I'm old
school and open a search engine by address bar or speed dial. I also
replaced Firefox with IceCat (another fork is Pale Moon), but my
favourite replacement is QupZilla, it's not really a fork, but very
close to Firefox and based on WebKit, so it never slows down as Firefox
and it's forks do. However, regarding privacy the forks are better than
Firefox is. If you want to ensure that Firefox doesn't "phone home"
after e.g. editing about:config, launch Firefox and Wireshark only ;)
and repeat it after a week, two weeks ... ;).
1. You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
similar things as you do.
2. Google does track you, and is using other means to uniquely
identify you.
EFF's Panopticlick [1] shows that most browsers have a fingerprint
that is very unique. E.g. it finds that my particular browser
fingerprint is unique among 132,254 browsers so far.
At any rate, I agree with the grandparent poster: if you don't want
Google to track you, don't use Google. StartPage is a good suggestion,
you also might want to look into DuckDuckGo.
The problem with Startpage is, that it provides privacy, but anyway
relies on Google. The issue with DuckDuckGo is, less good search
results, especially for other languages than English, at least for
German searches.

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-14 10:06:56 UTC
Post by Daniël de Kok
You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
similar things as you do.
If so, they are already tracking you, get your data while typing, not
just after typing and pushing enter ;). It's possible to disable this
by the settings dialog, but you anyway should monitor it with
Wireshark, to ensure that nothing is going on under the hood.
Valeri Galtsev
2016-07-14 13:56:19 UTC
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past &
current searches ?
I once came across the following presentation. I do not usually recommend
it to my users, but only because of the language she is using. Cut away
swearing, and it is actually brilliant presentation in my opinion. Anyway,
here it is:

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Daniël de Kok
OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past & current
searches ?
1. You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
similar things as you do.
2. Google does track you, and is using other means to uniquely identify you.
EFF's Panopticlick [1] shows that most browsers have a fingerprint that is
very unique. E.g. it finds that my particular browser fingerprint is
unique among 132,254 browsers so far.
At any rate, I agree with the grandparent poster: if you don't want Google
to track you, don't use Google. StartPage is a good suggestion, you also
might want to look into DuckDuckGo.
With kind regards,
Daniël
[1] https://panopticlick.eff.org
Thanks, I switched to StartPage & installed the PrivacyBadger from EFF,
we'll see how it goes. I already had NoScript installed, although I had
to leave a fair number of openings to get various web pages to function
(my bank, my broker, etc.). Thanks.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
[...]
I do exactly that, have cron eliminate cookies & cache from .mozilla
nightly, leave browsing history.

I find the following:

[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:32am] 492 % grep -i icecat LIST.available.txt
[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:41am] 493 % grep -i palemoon LIST.available.txt
[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:43am] 494 % grep -i qupzill LIST.available.txt
qupzilla-qt4-1.8.9
qupzilla-qt5-1.8.9
[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:45am] 495 % grep -i wireshark LIST.available.txt
wireshark-2.0.3
wireshark-lite-2.0.3
wireshark-qt5-2.0.3
[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:48am] 496 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p33 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p33 #0: Wed
Jan 13 17:55:39 UTC 2016
***@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:51am] 497 % grep -i wireshark LIST.installed.txt
wireshark-2.0.3 Powerful network analyzer/capture tool
[***@kabini1, /etc, 9:18:40am] 498 %

i.e. no IceCat or PaleMoon pkg'ed up for FreeBSD 9.3R. Which QupZilla
would I install, any idea ?

Also, could you elaborate on that 'launch FireFox & WireShark only' ?
What am I doing there ? Thanks & TIA
[...]
I agree about DuckDuckGo 100%, exactly my experience. I installed
StartPage & will try it out over time & see how it goes. Thanks.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-14 15:15:42 UTC
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
qupzilla-qt4-1.8.9
qupzilla-qt5-1.8.9
Hi,

I'm not using FreeBSD at the moment. A few days ago 2.0.1 was released,
the predecessor is 1.8.9, so you could use it. When upgrading to 2.0.1
a few minutes are required to get back the old history and speed dial,
but usually updates don't cause issues.

What version you should use, Qt4 or Qt5 belongs on how good Qt5 is
supported for FreeBSD. If you are using no desktop environment, but
just a window manager, than you might need qtconfig-qt4 for the Qt4
version and for Qt5 you likely need qt5ct to set up font sizes and
things like this.

For Linux it's possible to download an IceCat tarball from fsf.org and
to extract it to /opt, IOW there's no need to compile it against
installed libs. I don't know if this works without issues on FreeBSD.

If you don't run any software that connects to the Internet, excepted
of Firefox, you could use Wireshark to monitor Internet traffic.

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-14 15:19:11 UTC
[...]
PS: IIRC Pale Moon also provides to download a bin, that does not need
to be compiled against existing libs.
Brandon J. Wandersee
2016-07-14 19:41:45 UTC
Post by Daniël de Kok
OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past & current
searches ?
1. You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
similar things as you do.
That would absolutely be it, since (a) Google and Mozilla are
competitors (and therefore Google won't be getting anything from
Firefox); and (b) Mozilla switched Firefox's default search engine to
Yahoo nearly two years ago, out of concern for users' privacy.

The "suggestions" Firefox offers to show you are in-browser completions
similar to those used by every search engine out there: start typing,
and common/popular searches logged with the search engine are shown in a
drop-down completion box. Only these suggestions are instead fetched
from the default search engine and shown in the URL/Search bar, in the
same way bookmarks and open tabs are.
--
:: Brandon J. Wandersee
:: ***@gmail.com
:: --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-14 20:09:44 UTC
Google and Mozilla are competitors (and therefore Google won't be
getting anything from Firefox)
Type about:config into Firefox's address bar, then after ignoring
the warning, in the search bar type google . How do you think works
safe browsing and what do you think are the URLs good for? What is the
geo location URL good for? Firefox shares high amounts of data with
Google.

Regards,
Ralf
Valeri Galtsev
2016-07-14 20:31:28 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
Google and Mozilla are competitors (and therefore Google won't be
getting anything from Firefox)
Type about:config into Firefox's address bar, then after ignoring
the warning, in the search bar type google . How do you think works
safe browsing and what do you think are the URLs good for? What is the
geo location URL good for? Firefox shares high amounts of data with
Google.
Or use web browser that doesn't share anything with google. Midori does
not (though I didn't fully switched to it, it doesn't fully fill the
bill). Use tor project's browser (which is based on the Firefox's code,
alas, still). When you go to tor project, read their suggestions about
accessing web habits etc. They are extremely instructive. Do not use the
same browser to go places that definitely collect information - dedicate
some ("junk") browser to be used for this purpose. Google chrome can be it
(they definitely do collect information, and you don't care to use it for
places that collect information too). Many places do use "external"
services for their statistics. Google-analytics is most often used one. (I
personally hate site owners who make my browser talk to any places outside
of their domain...). What you can do about these (because you _will_ hit
such websites, and there is no way to know which one is and which is not
using google analytics). Search for IP ranges involved and add routes for
them to point to your localhost IP. (The last simultaneously will make
websites of bastards using goggle analytics respond faster). And the list
goes on. But many good things can be learned from a presentation I
mentioned already in this thread (apologies again for presenter using
non-colloquial language a lot).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
Brandon J. Wandersee
2016-07-15 00:39:45 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
Google and Mozilla are competitors (and therefore Google won't be
getting anything from Firefox)
Type about:config into Firefox's address bar, then after ignoring
the warning, in the search bar type google . How do you think works
safe browsing and what do you think are the URLs good for? What is the
geo location URL good for? Firefox shares high amounts of data with
Google.
This doesn't record personal information. The geolocation feature
certainly uses the IP address at which you're currently accessing the
Internet to tell where in the world you are at this particular moment,
but not *who* you are or what you're searching for. (Unless you're
browsing from home, and your ISP is openly sharing your account
information with others, then the IP address can't reliably say anything
about the who is doing the browsing, just where it's being done.) The
Firefox "safe browsing" setting refers to the Google database of
malicious/suspicious websites for its anti-phishing protection. It's not
recording your every keystroke and feeding it to Google.
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of
Firefox ... it suggests completions for me, implying that Google has
my identity pegged.
That's just downright fallacious. The mere existence of the "suggestion"
option doesn't mean every Firefox user's browsing is being tracked, and
even if we assume that it did mean as much it does not follow that the
entity doing the tracking must be Google. The "suggestions" option has
nothing to do with Google *unless* you use Google as your search engine
via the Firefox interface.[1]

Of course I retrieved that information using Firefox, and for all anyone
knows I may have landed on the linked-to page through a Google search,
and Google may have deliberately led me to a site chockful of
misinformation in order to sustain the large-scale cover-up of its
nefarious solar system domination scheme. So maybe that information
can't be trusted.

[1]: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-popular-search-suggestions-firefox-search-bar?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Search+suggestions
--
:: Brandon J. Wandersee
:: ***@gmail.com
:: --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Brandon J. Wandersee
[...]
As the OP, let me clarify the above. Whenever I start typing text into
the search bar, it suggests completions *that I have typed in recently
(last few weeks)*. My 2nd reply clarified that detail, not my 1st post,
sorry.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-15 04:45:17 UTC
Post by Brandon J. Wandersee
[...]
That was already clear. It's based on your search history.

However, Firefox's safe browsing de facto is Google's safe browsing
and the collected data does say much about people living in some areas.

And therefore the claim "Google won't be getting anything from Firefox"
is a wrong claim.

Other browsers have other pros and cons, I'm just referring to the
claim "Google won't be getting anything from Firefox".

People with a special IP/geo location might visit more heterosexuell or
more homosexuell porn sites, might visit more Christian or more Muslim
websites, might visit more racists websites, might visit more tobacco
and liqueur websites, sport websites, etc. than people with other
IPs/geo locations.

The information about an IP + the information of Firefox's version
and its window size and a few other hints even could be enough to know
exactly what person visited which website. However, even if they don't
know your name, the company knows exactly what groups of people live
in which areas, in a more correct way, than by an averaged old school
statistics.

Regards,
Ralf
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Brandon J. Wandersee
[...]
Wouldn't TOR defeat the geo+IP mapping ? Indeed, since I started using
TOR, whenever I visit Google, I have to do a captcha-style click through
to get my search results back ....
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Valeri Galtsev
2016-07-15 13:53:52 UTC
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
Wouldn't TOR defeat the geo+IP mapping ?
Yes, it does. Tor itself does not pass information to them it can get from
your machine locally. The only information that can be collected is about
exit point IP.
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
Indeed, since I started using
TOR, whenever I visit Google,
But when you are using tor (or tor browser), _YOU_ with your habits of
doing things can defeat significant portion of privacy protection tor
gives you. One of the things to avoid here: don't use google for searches.
On tor project website there is short writeup. But that is really
instructive, it gives a bunch of simple rules and good practices. The link
also is on the first page when you start tor browser. Here it is:

https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warning

Valeri
Brandon J. Wandersee
2016-07-15 16:49:00 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
However, Firefox's safe browsing de facto is Google's safe browsing
and the collected data does say much about people living in some areas.
And therefore the claim "Google won't be getting anything from Firefox"
is a wrong claim.
Other browsers have other pros and cons, I'm just referring to the
claim "Google won't be getting anything from Firefox".
Seeing as the question was over Google getting readily identifying
information from Firefox, I assumed my meaning could be inferred from
that context. Obviously Google can and will "get something from"
Firefox, since Firefox still allows people to use Google services. That
still doesn't mean that Google is identifying *you*, Ralph Madorph or
William A. Maherty III, by the things you type into the Firefox search
bar. Firefox takes the words you type in and, when you hit Enter, passes
them on to the search engine you use. The browser you use to perform the
searches is of no consequence: as long as you use a search engine that
records your past searches, those searches will be recorded *after* they
are sent by the browser to the remote computer performing the actual
search.

I apologize for derailing this conversation. Privacy on the web is a
worthwhile concern, but I've grown tired of the overwrought paranoia
that accompanies that concern. To most of the world, including the
people you meet every day, you are not Ralph Madorf. You are not William
A. Maheffey III. You are a faceless number nobody cares about, and
beyond your having a legitimate IP that counts toward advertising
revenue or targeted demographic marketing, or socio-political studies,
or your name matching up to the credit card number and address you enter
when you make purchases with them, they don't care who you are or what
you're doing on the Internet. The few people out there that do want to
use potentially identifying information against you pose a problem, but
the solution isn't to fight to keep all information that you fear could
make you a potential target of some malicious entity a secret. That
simply reinforces the idea that many practically harmless aspects of our
lives actually should be hidden; that the mundane searches we perform
are some weakness that can be exploited; that such exploitation is
ultimately the fault of the exploited; and that the potential personal
harm of that information outweighs the potential social good of the
otherwise anonymous information it accompanies. And it's simply an
impossible goal anyway. Perhaps I had a knee-jerk reaction to this
thread and spoke out of turn. Sorry; I'll leave it at that and stop
hijacking it.
--
:: Brandon J. Wandersee
:: ***@gmail.com
:: --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-15 16:47:53 UTC
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
Wouldn't TOR defeat the geo+IP mapping ? Indeed, since I started using
TOR, whenever I visit Google, I have to do a captcha-style click
through to get my search results back ....
TOR is a very complex topic. First read the TOR FAQ, to understand
major issues of TOR. TOR is very good, but has got many pitfalls and an
inexperienced user easily could render TOR usage useless.
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-15 16:54:30 UTC
Safe browsing requires to check every URL you visit, with the Google
data base. Google knows the IP, the window size, the Firefox version
etc., the sites you vist. With all the other data they own, they could
identify you by name, but they are not interested in doing it. What
they are interested in, is data of your area, of the major group
living in your area, for political and market-based manipulation.
Valeri Galtsev
2016-07-15 17:03:26 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
Safe browsing requires to check every URL you visit, with the Google
data base. Google knows the IP, the window size, the Firefox version
etc., the sites you vist. With all the other data they own,
!!!
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
they could
identify you by name, but they are not interested in doing it.
Says who?

I don't do anything illegal, but I do know that all governments who were
able to collect information about individuals, did so. And what these
governments eventually did is well known as well (Stalin Russia, Hitler
Germany,... and the list goes on).

The most depressing lesson of history is that people never learn lessons
of history ;-(

Valeri
2016-07-15 17:49:13 UTC
On Fri, July 15, 2016 11:54 am, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
Safe browsing requires to check every URL you visit, with the Google
data base. Google knows the IP, the window size, the Firefox version
etc., the sites you vist. With all the other data they own,
!!!
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
they could
identify you by name, but they are not interested in doing it.
Says who?
This perhaps become to off-topic for this mailing list. The assumption
roughly speaking is, that nowadays the interest of Google is money, not
a pogrom or something similar. More likely than misuse of data
regarding e.g. racism, nowadays is misuse e.g. regarding health
insurance funds and this not especially regarding individuals, but
regarding in what area of your home town most sportsman and in what
area most smokers are living. In Germany mail order business already
cared about areas were many people who are insolvent lived, before we
had the Internet. So you perhaps were credible, but most of your
neighbours perhaps were not, if so they didn't sell you products.
Germany perhaps had the best data protection that time, but anyway
statistics already were misused.
jd1008
2016-07-15 17:57:28 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
[...]
So why don't the "good" people in government tell the "PEOPLE"
who is behind this and put the guilty out of their misery?
Bernt Hansson
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-16 08:54:14 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of
Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests
completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged. I
use TOR when surfing & followed the advice of a thread a few weeks
ago about a FF setting to prevent those suggestions. I also have
cron delete cookies & other cruft from the .mozilla directory
nightly. How do they still have me ? TIA & have a good one.
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
A non-OT hint:

FWIW IceCat provides an experimetal, optional option trying to block
non-free JavaScrip. Free JavaScript still remains JavaScript, this is
another issue, but at least it's a step to more freedom,
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat/GNU_LibreJS .

"The program LibreJS detects nonfree, nontrivial JavaScript in pages
you visit, and blocks it." -
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html

Regards,
Ralf
--
OT:
Not verified by myself, but perhaps worth reading it:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet_eu_loc_2016/?bTrXNab&v=79141&cl=10375050907&_checksum=88dc554cfadfbf6f8a2f30c5508a726a2df5ecd88cfcdd4686e012174c9a97a7
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-16 10:15:10 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
Midori
Moved to an off-topic mailing list:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/d-community-offtopic/2016-July/000962.html

Regards,
Ralf
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
[...]
Funny, when I clicked on the link above, I got an error page that said
the webpage was incorrectly configured & firefox refused to connect to
it, even after I added an exception for it ....
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Polytropon
2016-07-16 15:36:13 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of
Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests
completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged. I use
TOR when surfing & followed the advice of a thread a few weeks ago
about a FF setting to prevent those suggestions. I also have cron
delete cookies & other cruft from the .mozilla directory nightly. How
do they still have me ? TIA & have a good one.
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
Which renders 99% of "modern" web pages totally unusable
(as in "stop using that web page")...
--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
Safe browsing requires to check every URL you visit, with the Google
data base. Google knows the IP, the window size, the Firefox version
etc., the sites you vist. With all the other data they own,
!!!
Post by Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
they could
identify you by name, but they are not interested in doing it.
Says who?
I don't do anything illegal, but I do know that all governments who were
able to collect information about individuals, did so. And what these
governments eventually did is well known as well (Stalin Russia, Hitler
Germany,... and the list goes on).
The most depressing lesson of history is that people never learn lessons
of history ;-(
Valeri
Preach it *LOUD*, brother !!!!

-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of
Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests
completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged. I
use TOR when surfing & followed the advice of a thread a few weeks
ago about a FF setting to prevent those suggestions. I also have cron
delete cookies & other cruft from the .mozilla directory nightly. How
do they still have me ? TIA & have a good one.
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
Yeah, but a maddening number of sites don't function at all w/o it :-/ ....
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-16 16:08:07 UTC
Post by Polytropon
Post by Bernt Hansson
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
Which renders 99% of "modern" web pages totally unusable
(as in "stop using that web page")...
Perhaps running two instances of FF, with different profiles helps.

[***@archlinux ~]$ firefox --help|grep -i profile
-P <profile> Start with <profile>.
--profile <path> Start with profile at <path>.
--ProfileManager Start with ProfileManager.

firefox -P one_per_cent
firefox -P hundred_per_cent

:D

Joking apart, as already pointed out, click the search icon and
unchecks "Provide search suggestions", if you want to use the Google
search, or add Startpage and make it the default. Startpage provides
quasi the same hits as Google does, since it's based on Google, but it
provides better privacy. Note, by default Startpage has got family
filters enabled and this filter sometimes misvalues a search term.
Valeri Galtsev
2016-07-16 16:13:51 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
Wouldn't TOR defeat the geo+IP mapping ?
<snip>
Post by Valeri Galtsev
But when you are using tor (or tor browser), _YOU_ with your habits of
doing things can defeat significant portion of privacy protection tor
gives you. One of the things to avoid here: don't use google for
searches.
On tor project website there is short writeup. But that is really
instructive, it gives a bunch of simple rules and good practices. The
link
https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warning
Valeri
Funny, when I clicked on the link above, I got an error page that said
the webpage was incorrectly configured & firefox refused to connect to
it, even after I added an exception for it ....
It opens for me (just tried again in safari and firefox on macintosh at
home - the same happens at my job place). Even though I usually post
something by copying and pasting from the location bar after I open that
page myself, I felt obliged to test again after I learned it didn't work
for you.

I can imagine one of two things:

1. You have [much] tighter security/privacy settings of your browser that
I do

2. Your network provider hates tor project and tor network (which defeat
their spying which URLs you are visiting). Some of providers do, the very
moment my provider does it, they loose me as a customer (I would say
forever: I really do have long memory for those who attempted nasty things
against me...).

Please, tell us what was it, I for one am curious.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
2016-07-16 17:34:08 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warnin
Funny, when I clicked on the link above, I got an error page that
said the webpage was incorrectly configured & firefox refused to
connect to it, even after I added an exception for it ....
It opens for me (just tried again in safari and firefox on macintosh at
home - the same happens at my job place).
William, consider to start Firefox in safe mode

firefox --safe-mode

since on a Linux PC the link works with at least

firefox 47.0.1 all Google safe browsing URLs removed, Ghostery enabled,
no other add-on enabled
firefox 47.0.1 a test profile with defaults, IOW Edit > Pref > Security
all that warn and block crap enabled, no URLs removed in
about:config, no Add-on
icecat 38.8.0 with Block execution of non-free JavaScript disabled
icecat 38.8.0 with Block execution of non-free JavaScript enabled,
then IceCat complains, but the link works anyway
palemoon 26.3.3
qupzilla 2.0.1
chrome 51.0.2704.106
chromium 51.0.2704.106
opera 38.0.2220.41
vivaldi 1.2.490.43
xombrero 1.6.4
tor-browser-en 6.0.2

Regards,
Ralf
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Polytropon
Post by Bernt Hansson
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
Which renders 99% of "modern" web pages totally unusable
(as in "stop using that web page")...
Perhaps running two instances of FF, with different profiles helps.
-P <profile> Start with <profile>.
--profile <path> Start with profile at <path>.
--ProfileManager Start with ProfileManager.
firefox -P one_per_cent
firefox -P hundred_per_cent
:D
Joking apart, as already pointed out, click the search icon and
unchecks "Provide search suggestions", if you want to use the Google
search, or add Startpage and make it the default. Startpage provides
quasi the same hits as Google does, since it's based on Google, but it
provides better privacy. Note, by default Startpage has got family
filters enabled and this filter sometimes misvalues a search term.
Already did both (uncheck, Startpage), we'll see how it goes.
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
William A. Mahaffey III
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Valeri Galtsev
[...]
Haven't chased it (yet), but it is reliable/repeatable. The message
seems to be from FireFox, but who knows ....
--
William A. Mahaffey III

ever devised by man."
-- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Bernt Hansson
2016-07-17 12:47:46 UTC
Post by Polytropon
Post by Bernt Hansson
Post by William A. Mahaffey III
I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of
Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests
completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged. I use
TOR when surfing & followed the advice of a thread a few weeks ago
about a FF setting to prevent those suggestions. I also have cron
delete cookies & other cruft from the .mozilla directory nightly. How
do they still have me ? TIA & have a good one.
Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.
Which renders 99% of "modern" web pages totally unusable
(as in "stop using that web page")...
Not really. I only accept javascript from a select few, five at the moment.
If the homepage is */completely/*
<https://www.google.se/search?q=completely&client=firefox-b&gbv=1&hl=sv&sa=X&as_q=&spell=1&ved=0ahUKEwiznZL_w_rNAhWF1SwKHZksAScQBQgQKAA>broken
i surf to some other page.
James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions
2016-07-18 21:14:24 UTC
Post by Brandon J. Wandersee
I apologize for derailing this conversation. Privacy on the web is a
worthwhile concern, but I've grown tired of the overwrought paranoia
that accompanies that concern. To most of the world, including the
people you meet every day, you are not Ralph Madorf. You are not
William A. Maheffey III. You are a faceless number nobody cares
about, . . .
Today.

But maybe tomorrow some entity may come to view you as a threat. And
then the record of your past becomes a weapon in their hands.

Google can identify you as an individual with a very good probability
simply by enumerating the fonts installed on your computer. Add any
three other bits of data such as browser type, geo-location and query
subject and they will have you individually identified with almost
100% accuracy.
--
*** e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***

James B. Byrne mailto:***@Harte-Lyne.ca