Resolution on SCFB X11 Driver
Charles W. Ross
2016-06-24 17:24:17 UTC
Hi all,

I'm running FreeBSD 10.3 on an Intel NUC with 4th generation graphics.
This is not supported by the i915 driver yet, so I'm using the SCFB
(frame buffer) driver.

It works, but I can't seem to set an optimal resolution. My display (24"
Dell) supports 1920*1200, but the system only permits X11 to operate at
1280*1024.

I have tried the usual settings in xorg.conf to define the display's
"Modes" at 1920*1200, but no luck. Running 'xrandr' presents only one
option: 1280*1024.

I know the SCFB driver is capable of operating at higher resolutions,
does anyone have any tips on how to set this?

Thanks,

Charlie
Polytropon
2016-06-24 19:16:29 UTC
Post by Charles W. Ross
Hi all,
I'm running FreeBSD 10.3 on an Intel NUC with 4th generation graphics.
This is not supported by the i915 driver yet, so I'm using the SCFB
(frame buffer) driver.
It works, but I can't seem to set an optimal resolution. My display (24"
Dell) supports 1920*1200, but the system only permits X11 to operate at
1280*1024.
I have tried the usual settings in xorg.conf to define the display's
"Modes" at 1920*1200, but no luck. Running 'xrandr' presents only one
option: 1280*1024.
I know the SCFB driver is capable of operating at higher resolutions,
does anyone have any tips on how to set this?
Some years ago, I had a similar problem with the nvidia driver
not providing a screen size biiger than 1024x768 (which isn't
that great on an 21" 4:3 CRT), so I tested and collected some
tweaks for xorg.conf. Maybe those are driver-specific or even
outdated, but maybe they can be an inspiration for further
investigations.

I did manually define the monitor's physical parameters to
allow X to calculate the required resolution and size:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Eizo"
ModelName "FlexScan F980"
HorizSync 30.0 - 137.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
Option "DPMS" "false"
DisplaySize 410 305
# X*Y in mm for DPI calculation, cf. xinit -- -dpi 72/75/96/115
EndSection

In that section, if I set

Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"

the system locked up. No idea why.

Later on, I tried to set the DPI size and disable EDID information
retrieval:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
[...]
Option "UseEdid" "FALSE"
Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

In the "most important section" of xorg.conf, I could successfully
set the screen sizes to switch manually (with Ctrl+Alt+[+]/[-] keys)
or via program (for example games that activated a full screen mode
that was not the "usual" mode).

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Visual "TrueColor"
Modes "1400x1050" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x240"
EndSubSection
EndSection

In case of a flat panel, all size settings should be the same, and
in the "Screen" section, there should be only one entry of the
desired format.

I always could manually switch to the desired mode:

xrandr --fb 1400x1050
xrandr --size 1400x1050

which I had temporarily put into ~/.xinitrc, but that looked wrong.

With "xrandr" without parameter) you should then get a list of the
available modes, with the one selected at the top.
--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
alphachi
Paranoid in Sabbath ...
Emmanuel Vadot
2016-06-27 12:22:54 UTC
I'm guessing that you are using UEFI.
SCFB uses the GOP mode set by loader (or the default one), on my last
laptop (an HP840G3) if I leave the bios with the default config for
video memory I cannot go higher than 1280x1024, I need to set it to an
higher value and then the UEFI firmware provided multiple GOP mode.
You can list/change the available mode in loader.efi with the 'gop'
command (gop list, gop get etc ...)

Cheers,

Emmanuel Vadot
Charles W. Ross
2016-06-28 00:41:51 UTC
Post by alphachi
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55222/
Thank you to all who responded! I now have my display set to the proper
resolution under the scfb driver! I can how happily use my Intel NUC in
a reasonable fashion until FreeBSD 11 comes along. The link above was
most helpful. Here are the steps I had to take to get the proper
resolution:

1) Boot into loader prompt.
2) Type "mode" to get a list of available modes.
3) Choose a mode and set it.
4) Back at the loader prompt, type 'gop get' to see what resolution that
mode permitted.
5) Eventually, I discovered that setting to mode '0' would result in a
1920*1200 option when the 'gop get' command was executed.
6) Boot the system and all is good!

Charlie