Copy bootcode to mirror disk?
perikillo
2016-06-23 20:19:15 UTC
Hi I have a server with 2 hard disk in mirror setup.

My slices are:

Code:
***@spam:/boot # gpart show ada1
34 976773101 ada1 GPT (466G)
34 6 - free - (3.0K)
40 128 1 freebsd-boot (64K)
168 2097152 2 freebsd-ufs (1.0G)
2097320 16777216 3 freebsd-ufs (8.0G)
18874536 16777216 4 freebsd-ufs (8.0G)
35651752 1048576 5 freebsd-ufs (512M)
36700328 1048576 6 freebsd-swap (512M)
37748904 939024231 - free - (448G)

My mirror has ada0 ada1, ada0 var slice fails, them I decide to replace the
whole disk and follow the instructions for that using gpart and backup my
current good disk layout into my new disk.

gpart backup ada1 | gpart restore -F /dev/ada0

This create my slices, I forget each mirror slice and add each slice into
the mirror again.

Everything working, but looks like I forget to add the bootcode to my new
disk because it won't boot.

Now is booting from 2nd disk but need to boot from all hard disk, if ada1
fails I will have issues.

If some one could explain me the steps will be appreciated, thanks.
Vladislav Prodan
2016-06-23 21:40:56 UTC
[...]
Install the GPT bootcode into the boot partition:

# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0

--
Vladislav V. Prodan
System & Network Administrator
support.od.ua
perikillo
2016-06-23 22:57:53 UTC
Thanks for your quick answer, I got this error:

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0

gpart: /dev/ada0p1: Operation not permitted

Do I need remove first from mirror or some step before this?

Thanks.