RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff
2016-07-18 14:55:38 UTC
When I try to mount a NFS share of my provider with

mount -t nfs -o tcp,nfsv3,nolockd my.provider.tld:/the/shared/directory /mnt/mountpoint

the share won't mount. Instead I get the following error after a while:

[tcp] stor2.tilaa.nl:/stor2/clients/15337/1: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

My provider requests to use nfsv3 and nolockd that's why I define these options.

In /etc/rc.conf I have

rpcbind_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"

And I started both with

service rpcbind start
service nfsclient start

The funny thing is that I can telnet to both 111 and 2049 without
any problems. In addition there are no relevant outgoing/incoming
packages being blocked in pflog0.

`rpcinfo -p my.provider.tld` gives

program vers proto port service
100000 4 tcp 111 rpcbind
100000 3 tcp 111 rpcbind
100000 2 tcp 111 rpcbind
100000 4 udp 111 rpcbind
100000 3 udp 111 rpcbind
100000 2 udp 111 rpcbind
100000 4 local 111 rpcbind
100000 3 local 111 rpcbind
100000 2 local 111 rpcbind
100005 1 udp 839 mountd
100005 3 udp 839 mountd
100005 1 tcp 839 mountd
100005 3 tcp 839 mountd
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs

However `showmount -e my.provider.tld` gives

RPC: Port mapper failure
showmount: can't do mountdump rpc

after a while.

This seems really strange to me because I have no problems to
reach the server via telnet. Does anyone have an idea what could
be causing this?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Niklaas
Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff
2016-07-19 14:19:28 UTC
Post by Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff
This seems really strange to me because I have no problems to
reach the server via telnet. Does anyone have an idea what could
be causing this?
Just to let you know: It was a problem on my provider's side.
Works now.

Niklaas