EFI and GPT status
Fernando Apesteguía
2016-07-19 14:59:38 UTC

What's the status of EFI and GPT support on FreeBSD? I would like to triple
boot windows 10 + FreeBSD 10 + Linux everything installed on a single disk.
Is it possible?

If not with GPT, would it be better to fall back to compatibility mode and
MBR partition scheme?

Has anyone played with this?

Thanks in advance.
Ben Woods
2016-07-19 21:31:18 UTC
Post by Fernando Apesteguía
Hi,
What's the status of EFI and GPT support on FreeBSD? I would like to triple
boot windows 10 + FreeBSD 10 + Linux everything installed on a single disk.
Is it possible?
If not with GPT, would it be better to fall back to compatibility mode and
MBR partition scheme?
Has anyone played with this?
Thanks in advance.
I dual boot my laptop with Windows and FreeBSD using a single hard drive.

I find the easiest way is creating 2 new GPT partitions (1 for ZFS and 1
for swap). I then manually copy the FreeBSD EFI boot loader to my EFI
partition, by mounting the existing EFI partition that comes with the
laptop as msdosfs to /mnt, copying /boot/boot1.efi to
/mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi.

Lastly, I install refind on my efi partition to allow me to select between
the Windows EFI loader and the FreeBSD EFI loader at boot time.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Regards,
Ben
From: Benjamin Woods
***@gmail.com
Warren Block
2016-07-20 02:34:55 UTC
Post by Ben Woods
[...]
I do a similar thing, but my UEFI Dell notebooks allow setting each EFI
boot loader as a menu entry. So no additional software is needed.
Fernando Apesteguía
2016-07-20 15:16:56 UTC
On Tuesday, 19 July 2016, Fernando Apesteguía <
Post by Warren Block
the Windows EFI loader and the FreeBSD EFI loader at boot time.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
I do a similar thing, but my UEFI Dell notebooks allow setting each EFI
boot loader as a menu entry. So no additional software is needed.

Thanks for the tips!