FreeBSD 10.1 i386 boot "Mounting local file systems:mount: fdesc: Operation not supported by device"
David Christensen
2016-05-25 06:20:31 UTC
freebsd-questions:

On a machine with a fresh install of FreeBSD 10.1 i386, I used pkg to
install Bash. pkg told me:

bash requires fdescfs(5) mounted on /dev/fd

If you have not done it yet, please do the following:

mount -t fdescfs fdesc /dev/fd

To make it permanent, you need the following lines in /etc/fstab:

fdesc /dev/fd fdescfs rw 0 0

So, I added the suggested line to /etc/fstab, rebooted, and all was well.

I then used freebsd-update to update the system.

Now when I boot, the system stops when attempting to mount the fdesc
device required by Bash:

Starting file system checks:
Mounting local file systems:mount: fdesc: Operation not
supported by device
.
Mounting /etc/fstab filesystems failed, startup aborted
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
May 24 22:44:09 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally,
going to single user mode
Enter full path of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

If I press <Return>, comment out the "fdesc..." line in /etc/fstab, and
enter 'exit', the system continues booting to the login prompt.

When I log in:

1. The suggested 'mount -t fdescfs fdesc /dev/fd' command works.

2. If I uncomment the "fdesc..." line in /etc/fstab and run 'mount
/dev/fd', it works.

Any comments or suggestions?

TIA,

David
Trond Endrestøl
2016-05-25 09:00:56 UTC
[...]
Maybe you need to add late to the options field, e.g.:

fdesc /dev/fd fdescfs rw,late 0 0
TIA,
David
--