Which Perl 5 works best on FreeBSD 10.1?
David Christensen
2016-06-04 03:40:58 UTC
freebsd-questions:

I am building a FreeBSD 10.1 computer and would like to install Perl 5.

Several ports are available:

2016-06-03 20:29:31 ***@p42800e ~
# pkg search perl | egrep ^perl5
perl5-5.20.3_13 Practical Extraction and Report Language
perl5-devel-5.25.1.91 Practical Extraction and Report Language
perl5.18-5.18.4_22 Practical Extraction and Report Language
perl5.22-5.22.2_1 Practical Extraction and Report Language
perl5.24-5.24.0 Practical Extraction and Report Language

I've heard of perlbrew, but have never tried it. I don't see a FreeBSD
package, but I do see a port (that wants perl5-5.20.3_13):

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=perlbrew&stype=all&sektion=all

What is the best way to get a robust Perl 5 installation on FreeBSD 10.1?

TIA,

David
RW via freebsd-questions
2016-06-04 13:04:53 UTC
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:40:58 -0700
Post by David Christensen
I am building a FreeBSD 10.1 computer
Why are you installing 10.1 when 10.3 is availible?
Post by David Christensen
What is the best way to get a robust Perl 5 installation on FreeBSD
10.1?
The default version is 5.20. If you chose anything else you'll have
have to build your own packages or install from ports.
David Christensen
2016-06-04 16:27:13 UTC
Post by RW via freebsd-questions
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:40:58 -0700
Post by David Christensen
I am building a FreeBSD 10.1 computer
Why are you installing 10.1 when 10.3 is availible?
I want stability, and older usually means more stability.
Post by David Christensen
What is the best way to get a robust Perl 5 installation on FreeBSD
10.1?
The default version is 5.20. If you chose anything else you'll have
have to build your own packages or install from ports.
Okay.

David
John Levine
2016-06-04 17:07:33 UTC
Post by David Christensen
Post by RW via freebsd-questions
Why are you installing 10.1 when 10.3 is availible?
I want stability, and older usually means more stability.
The difference between N.1 and N.3 is mostly bug fixes. You'll find
10.3 at least as stable as 10.1.

R's,
John