A question about modifying autoboot delay time
Nan Xiao
2016-07-20 03:09:33 UTC
Hi all,

My FreeBSD is running on VMware virtual machine. I modify /boot/loader.conf file
to prolong autoboot delay time:

# cat /boot/loader.conf
autoboot_delay="60"

After rebooting, I find the prompt is still default value (10s), and the screen looks
like hung (The image is here: Loading Image...).
But the actual delay time seems taking effect, about passing one minute, the system boots up.

Is it a bug of running FreeBSD on VMware virtual machine? Could anyone help to explain it?

Thanks very much in advance!

Best Regards
Nan Xiao (肖楠)
Skype: xiaonan19830818
Jabber/XMPP: ***@xmpp.ru.net
Telegram: nanxiao
Personal website (Chinese): http://nanxiao.me/
Personal website (English): http://nanxiao.me/en
Chinese DTrace website: http://chinadtrace.org/
David Demelier
2016-07-20 12:17:22 UTC
like hung (The image is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NanXiao/FreeBSD-101-Hacks/master/images/boot_kernel.JPG).
But the actual delay time seems taking effect, about passing one minute, the system boots up.
Is it a bug of running FreeBSD on VMware virtual machine? Could anyone help to explain it?
Hmm, I can reproduce the same problem (on my machine) with less seconds,
also happens here with a delay of 30.

I think the loader was designed to have 10 as value to show at maximum?

Regards,
David Demelier
Polytropon
2016-07-20 12:31:27 UTC
Post by Nan Xiao
Hi all,
My FreeBSD is running on VMware virtual machine. I modify /boot/loader.conf file
# cat /boot/loader.conf
autoboot_delay="60"
After rebooting, I find the prompt is still default value (10s), and the
screen looks
like hung (The image is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NanXiao/FreeBSD-101-Hacks/master/images/boot_kernel.JPG).
But the actual delay time seems taking effect, about passing one minute,
the system boots up.
Is it a bug of running FreeBSD on VMware virtual machine? Could anyone
help to explain it?
Did you try the "simplified" boot screen? In /boot/loader.conf,
define the following:

autoboot_delay="60"
beastie_disable="YES"

Maybe it's just a "display thing" error related to the menu screen...
--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
Ernie Luzar
2016-07-20 13:21:07 UTC
Post by Polytropon
Post by Nan Xiao
Hi all,
My FreeBSD is running on VMware virtual machine. I modify /boot/loader.conf file
# cat /boot/loader.conf
autoboot_delay="60"
After rebooting, I find the prompt is still default value (10s), and the
screen looks
like hung (The image is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NanXiao/FreeBSD-101-Hacks/master/images/boot_kernel.JPG).
But the actual delay time seems taking effect, about passing one minute,
the system boots up.
Is it a bug of running FreeBSD on VMware virtual machine? Could anyone
help to explain it?
Did you try the "simplified" boot screen? In /boot/loader.conf,
autoboot_delay="60"
beastie_disable="YES"
Maybe it's just a "display thing" error related to the menu screen...
You did not state what version of Freebsd your running. If your running
any of the available 11.0 systems then the problem may be with the
default vt console driver. You can code boot loader to use sc driver
instead to see if problem is still there.
Nan Xiao
2016-07-21 00:02:22 UTC
Thanks very much for all your answer!

Hi Ernie,

My FreeBSD version is 10.3

Hi Polytropon,

After configuring "beastie_disable="YES"", the countdown is normal in terminal screen:
Since I just run it on VMware virtual machine, not have box at hand, I can't verify it on
real machine. Not sure whether it is a bug or not.

From: Ernie Luzar
Date: 2016-07-20 21:21
To: Polytropon
CC: Nan Xiao; freebsd-questions