backup packages and ports
infinityux--- via freebsd-questions
2016-05-25 16:22:26 UTC
Hi all, recently I have installed Virtualbox and gimp by pkg install command. Is there any way backup these packages in a usb storage device or DVD which can be installed later without internet connection? One more thing to ask that can I backup my kde desktop environment as it takes a lot of time to download and compileRegards Arnab
Matthew Seaman
2016-05-25 17:58:50 UTC
Post by infinityux--- via freebsd-questions
Hi all, recently I have installed Virtualbox and gimp by pkg install
command. Is there any way backup these packages in a usb storage
device or DVD which can be installed later without internet
connection? One more thing to ask that can I backup my kde desktop
environment as it takes a lot of time to download and compileRegards
Arnab
You'll find the pkg tarballs in /var/cache/pkg -- if you copy that to
your USB drive or whatever you should be able to install them while
off-line. pkg(8) will not be happy if it can't update the package
catalogue though, but you should be able to use 'pkg add filename.txz'
or 'pkg install -U filename.txz' to install.

Cheers,

Matthew
infinityux--- via freebsd-questions
2016-05-26 07:14:56 UTC
David Benfell
2016-05-26 07:25:24 UTC
Post by infinityux--- via freebsd-questions
Hi all, recently I have installed Virtualbox and gimp by pkg install command. Is there any way backup these packages in a usb storage device or DVD which can be installed later without internet connection?
There's 'pkg create' which creates .txz files from installed packages
that can be used with 'pkg add' to install identically configured
packages on another system of the same architecture. Is that what you're
looking for?
--
David Benfell, Ph.D.
***@parts-unknown.org