making a server entirely without X
tech-lists
2016-07-22 12:38:44 UTC

I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation for
make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?

thanks
J.
Jim Ohlstein
2016-07-22 12:43:39 UTC
Hello,
Post by tech-lists
Hi,
I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation for
make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?
All X components are part of the ports/pkg system. If you don't want them, don't install them.

Jim
tech-lists
2016-07-22 12:54:49 UTC
Post by Jim Ohlstein
Hello,
Post by tech-lists
Hi,
I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation for
make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?
All X components are part of the ports/pkg system. If you don't want them, don't install them.
But some ports will build X (or parts of X) as dependencies. Or
dependencies on dependencies. I want to prevent that. It used to be
something like WITHOUT_X11=YES in /etc/make.conf but that was a long
time ago and I think the syntax has changed. I'm looking for the new syntax.
J.
Dean E. Weimer
2016-07-22 12:51:04 UTC
Post by tech-lists
Hi,
I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation
for
make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?
thanks
I have this in my make.conf, Not really sure where I got the idea to put
these in there though, its been sometime since I did and I have just
been using them ever since.

OPTIONS_UNSET= X11 X GUI
--
Thanks,
Dean E. Weimer
http://www.dweimer.net/
tech-lists
2016-07-22 13:04:02 UTC
Post by Dean E. Weimer
OPTIONS_UNSET= X11 X GUI
I think that's the one I was trying to remember. Many thanks.
J.
Jim Ohlstein
2016-07-22 13:04:19 UTC
Hello,
Post by tech-lists
Post by Jim Ohlstein
Hello,
Post by tech-lists
Hi,
I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation for
make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?
All X components are part of the ports/pkg system. If you don't want them, don't install them.
But some ports will build X (or parts of X) as dependencies. Or
dependencies on dependencies. I want to prevent that. It used to be
something like WITHOUT_X11=YES in /etc/make.conf but that was a long
time ago and I think the syntax has changed. I'm looking for the new syntax.
For ports I believe that you can set "OPTIONS_UNSET+=X11" and X11 support will be deselected, but you'll still have to go through options on each port and its dependencies to remove opens that may pull in X11 dependencies.

Jim
Solène RAPENNE
2016-07-22 13:14:25 UTC
Post by tech-lists
Post by Jim Ohlstein
Hello,
Post by tech-lists
Hi,
I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation
for
make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?
All X components are part of the ports/pkg system. If you don't want
them, don't install them.
But some ports will build X (or parts of X) as dependencies. Or
dependencies on dependencies. I want to prevent that. It used to be
something like WITHOUT_X11=YES in /etc/make.conf but that was a long
time ago and I think the syntax has changed. I'm looking for the new
syntax.
Hello,

You may have problems with some ports if you want to build them without
X11. I had to remove WITHOUT_X11=yes because of some ports, I don't
remember their names but they were related to images creation (like
ImageMagick etc..).
Steve O'Hara-Smith
2016-07-22 13:05:09 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:54:49 +0100
Post by tech-lists
Post by Jim Ohlstein
Hello,
Post by tech-lists
Hi,
I want to build a server entirely without X. What is the incantation
for make.conf please? Or is it incanted elsewhere?
All X components are part of the ports/pkg system. If you don't want
them, don't install them.
But some ports will build X (or parts of X) as dependencies. Or
dependencies on dependencies. I want to prevent that. It used to be
something like WITHOUT_X11=YES in /etc/make.conf but that was a long
time ago and I think the syntax has changed. I'm looking for the new
syntax.
X11=NO should do the job AFAICT. Disclaimer - I haven't tried it,
just seen that bsd.sanity.make says X11 is the replacement for WITHOUT_X11.
--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <***@sohara.org>